Saturday, November 28, 2009

Puzzles and Parenting

For Emma's birthday, she received a puzzle with 100 pieces. At our house, that's the big time! One school day as I was busy trying to clean and cook, Jonathan said that he wanted to do the puzzle and he wanted me to sit and watch. "WHAT? I have too many tasks to sit," I thought, but thankfully, I sat down with him. I learned a thing or two.


1.) Jonathan could have done the entire puzzle without me. It may have taken him longer than an hour, but he could have done it. He had the patience to turn each piece to see if it would fit in the open spot. I was truly amazed at his talent and patience.


2.) I don't have much patience. This isn't the first time I realized this. It is a fact, but this was another lesson on giving my child what he needed, which was for me just to sit and watch, helping when he really wanted me to.

3.) All the messes were still there when Jonathan and I finished. Setting aside the tasks was worth every second with him. Jonathan had a great time and so did I.






Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed this one! Sweet story! That's a big puzzle for a 4 year old!

    ReplyDelete